Home Forums Main Forum Introductions 20 years old SM

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sirensandshipwrecks sirensandshipwrecks 3 years, 4 months ago.

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home4/scardew/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-category-excluder/ultimate-category-excluder.php on line 155
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sammiexskyes
    sammiexskyes
    Participant

Hello, my name’s Sam & as you can probably tell I have Selective Mutism. I’ve always been an outgoing & loud child, but that all changed when I started 4th grade. growing up I didn’t really notice how much my silence effected not only me, but everyone else around me. I thought it was normal & since I had a huge issue with being bullied/harassed I didn’t care that I wasn’t like everyone else who could talk normally. Now that I’m in college the silence is more of a pain. I want to be able to talk more, but at the same time I don’t really mind being a mute.

Profile photo of sirensandshipwrecks
    sirensandshipwrecks
    Participant

Hi, Sam!

It’s awesome to have you here. 🙂 I myself do not have selective mutism, but I am very close with someone who dealt with it for a long period of time, so I definitely know what you are going through. Interestingly enough, I also went through a large change in my life in 4th grade as well. I developed obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) very rapidly, which made me feel alienated from others. I went from being very outgoing like you, to extremely withdrawn and afraid of literally everything. Luckily, I got help for it, but I still struggle with feeling somewhat different from others to this day because of it.

You say the silence is becoming more of a pain, but you don’t really mind being selectively mute. It seems like you do have some desire to talk to others. Am I right? Also, may I ask if there is anyone you are able to talk to who might provide a safe space for discussing your selective mutism? Of course, you always have us here, but it might be helpful to talk to someone you know personally who could not only listen to what you are going through, but provide some encouragement for getting treatment – if you wish to seek treatment, of course.

Personally, I think it is in your best interest to seek treatment for your selective mutism as you will likely need to be able to speak to others in your future career. Plus, talking to others and gaining new friends can add a lot of enjoyment and flavor to your life! Do it for yourself. You deserve it. 🙂

Profile photo of sammiexskyes
    sammiexskyes
    Participant

Thank you for accepting me. I said that it’s a pain because when I went to talk I can’t & when people try to talk to me it gets awkward & I feel really bad about it. I used to have a small group of “friends” that knew about my issue with talking, but now I’m back to being a loner. Maybe if I had found out that my silence was caused by SM I could have told them & maybe we still be friends, but I guess that’s life, people grow apart. If treatment means having to take meds all the time I’d rather not. I think something like SM should be handled in a safe way that builds confidence leading towards talking normally.

Profile photo of sirensandshipwrecks
    sirensandshipwrecks
    Participant
    Quote:
    Quote from sammiexskyes on June 14, 2014, 16:20
    Thank you for accepting me. I said that it’s a pain because when I went to talk I can’t & when people try to talk to me it gets awkward & I feel really bad about it. I used to have a small group of “friends” that knew about my issue with talking, but now I’m back to being a loner. Maybe if I had found out that my silence was caused by SM I could have told them & maybe we still be friends, but I guess that’s life, people grow apart. If treatment means having to take meds all the time I’d rather not. I think something like SM should be handled in a safe way that builds confidence leading towards talking normally.

Yep, things change and people come and go. But that doesn’t mean you have to be a loner! And also, you definitely don’t have to take medicine to work on your SM. There are a lot of treatments that don’t involve any sort of medicine, and doctors/therapists will (or at least they should) respect your choice to forego medication., should you choose to seek treatment. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.