Home Forums Main Forum Introductions 30 yr old with SM

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of windflower windflower 5 years, 9 months ago.

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home4/scardew/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-category-excluder/ultimate-category-excluder.php on line 155
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of windflower
    windflower

Thanks for the welcome Jenny! I can SO relate you what you said about not being shy! How many times I heard that in my life. You learn to think of yourself in that way. I was absolutely stunned when a doctor told me I was outgoing and bubbly! I started to think of myself differently after that, that this “shy” label wasn’t at all WHO I was. And the people that call me shy simply don’t know me.

My friends moved on without me when I was a young teen, so my social life has been difficult since then. I struggle to make and keep friends, or at least GOOD friends. I met one recently but she’s moving soon! My social issues have really come into the light as I NEED to provide my children with a good social life and I am the key to that. I can deal with not having any close friends (even though I’d like to have them) but I cannot allow my children to suffer the same fate.

anyway, nice to meet you Jenny 🙂 I’m glad you’re here.

Were you able to work when you were my age?

Profile photo of jenny
    jenny

Welcome to the site Windflower!
    I’m glad you are better. When I was your age, I was still silent and friendless. It has only been in the last couple years that I have really become more free.
    I remember once as a teenager I secretly bought a book on “Shyness” and hid it in my room to read, just trying to figure out how to fix “my problem.” Nothing helped though.
    I was so happy to discover last January why I’m this way – that it’s an anxiety disorder and not my fault. I really love the fact that I’m “NOT SHY!” 🙂

windflower

Thanks for the welcome Jenny! I can SO relate you what you said about not being shy! How many times I heard that in my life. You learn to think of yourself in that way. I was absolutely stunned when a doctor told me I was outgoing and bubbly! I started to think of myself differently after that, that this “shy” label wasn’t at all WHO I was. And the people that call me shy simply don’t know me.

My friends moved on without me when I was a young teen, so my social life has been difficult since then. I struggle to make and keep friends, or at least GOOD friends. I met one recently but she’s moving soon! My social issues have really come into the light as I NEED to provide my children with a good social life and I am the key to that. I can deal with not having any close friends (even though I’d like to have them) but I cannot allow my children to suffer the same fate.

anyway, nice to meet you Jenny 🙂 I’m glad you’re here.

Were you able to work when you were my age?

Profile photo of admin
    Seth
    Keymaster

Hi Windflower, I am about a decade younger than you are, but I can relate to the things about your teen years. It’s a tough period of time! And I can say that I am not shy either. That isn’t who I am. =]

Jenny, that is funny about how you bought a book on shyness… I practically raided the self-help section of the library a few years ago, haha. Yeah, most of them weren’t very helpful, but there were a few gems among them that I could get something out of.

Thanks for introducing yourself, Windflower =]

-Seth

windflower

Thanks for the welcome, Seth! And thank you so much for the forum. I wanted to host a forum myself but financially have been in no position to do so. I see there’s a lot of members, hopefully they will join in more!

have either of you read The Highly Sensitive Child? There’s also the Highly Sensitive Person, but my library didn’t have it, so I read the Child one. I sure can relate to that.

Profile photo of jenny
    jenny

I haven’t read those, but I just checked and my library has the one on the sensitive child.
    I just ordered Jessica Thorpe’s book, though.
    Another book I would highly recommend is “Just Listen” by Mark Goulston. It’s the best book I’ve ever read on communication.
    One of my favorite quotes from the book is, “It’s not good enough for us to know in our hearts that we are valuable; we need to see our worth reflected in the eyes of the people around us.”
    Not only do we need to feel valuable, we need to help others around us feel valuable also.

windflower

I’ll see if my library has Just Listen. I never heard of Jessica Thorpe’s book ’til now – do let me know what you think of it when you’re done.

That’s a very good quote. The question is, do they only know our worth when we show them theirs?

Profile photo of marcjohng
    marcjohng

Oh God WINDFLOWER! We almost have THE SAME SITUATION!! The only difference is that I knew my condition a little earlier than you did. I accidentally knew my condition JUST a few months ago!! That was when I saw the Korean guy “seung hui cho” who committed a mass murder and suicide last 2007 and decided to read his biography in wikipedia. And when I saw that he was diagnosed with an SM, the word “Selective Mutism” suddenly struck my mind with something that is really connected with myself. The root word “mute” exactly described what I am and the “selective” meant something that is not ‘consistent’. And then when I searched it on the google I knew I was right!! I have this kind of condition since my preschool days!!! I really didn’t know that what I am experiencing all these years has its own name LOL. Thanks to Seung Hui cho LOL.

windflower

Hi marcjohng, nice to meet you! Yes I heard about that guy as well. So sad. It’s just crazy how long it takes for us to find out about our own condition! I learned about SM on a TV news-type show.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.