Home Forums Main Forum General Adults Living with SM

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of admin Seth 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home4/scardew/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-category-excluder/ultimate-category-excluder.php on line 155
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jenny
    jenny

Just curious, what types of jobs/careers other SM adults choose? I’m a social worker who works with the aged and disabled.

Profile photo of admin
    Seth
    Keymaster

I’ve wanted to be a lot of things throughout the years… a math teacher, a guitarist, a band director, an oboist, a janitor, an internet marketer, a chef, a poet, a psychologist, and currently I am fixated on becoming a bartender. The thing is, I start out really strong with a lot of determination, but then my enthusiasm sort of just fizzles because it is too hard or I lose interest. =[

How do you like social work?

Profile photo of jenny
    jenny

You sound like a very creative person.
    The reason I like social work is that I can help people. Also, talking one-to-one in a private intake room is much easier than in a group. I worked in journalism for many years, but the anxiety before an interview and waiting to see if the story was okay was very difficult.

Profile photo of windflower
    windflower

I was so agoraphobic and unstable that I could not work, so I needed other people to take care of me. Isn’t that awful? I hated it the whole time (made me suicidal), believe me, but I didn’t even know I was agoraphobic at the time. I didn’t know what was wrong with me.

I pursued a psychology education for a short time when I was a teen, then later on a massage and energy work education but never finished because I had a baby and ended up with such severe insomnia I couldn’t even function. Then another kid…

so for now I pursue herbalism while I do my real job- parenting and being a family, still not knowing exactly what my “career” will be after the kids are grown. It could be in the herbal field, but I may need something a bit more lucrative and stable than that. We’ll see.

I wanted to be a poet and musician too 😉

Profile photo of unpretty125
    unpretty125
    Participant

hi. i’m new. when i was younger (around 13) i wanted to be an actress. i knew that i would be laughed at so i kept it to myself.

i used to work for a dollar store in my hometown until they let me go. :-/ they just didn’t want me working for them because they didn’t want to deal with me. someone has told me that i could not work because of the disorder i have.

i talk fine on the internet and on the phone–but when its face-to-face i have a hard time making eye contact. my pychotherpist told me to look past their ear. it worked. the other person actually thinks i am making eye contact.

unpretty125
    Participant

hi. i’m new. when i was younger (around 13) i wanted to be an actress. i knew that i would be laughed at so i kept it to myself.

i used to work for a dollar store in my hometown until they let me go. :-/ they just didn’t want me working for them because they didn’t want to deal with me. someone has told me that i could not work because of the disorder i have.

i talk fine on the internet and on the phone–but when its face-to-face i have a hard time making eye contact. my pychotherpist told me to look past their ear. it worked. the other person actually thinks i am making eye contact.

Profile photo of potatoitus
    potatoitus

I’m the same. Never worked too frightening even going for an interview so I never have. Thats good advice cos I can never make eye contact.

windflower

It’s nice to hear I’m not alone… The worst thing for me now is that if I ever apply for a job someday, I have to somehow explain, without falling apart, why I have pretty much never had a job before (but for a couple short term things). It’s embarrassing. Perhaps I will have to mention SM. <shrug>

That’s funny about looking at the ear instead of the eyes. I can make eye contact except it gets overwhelming after a couple minutes. It feels unnatural. Unpretty – I wish you could’ve been an actress – I deep down wanted to be a singer but never told anyone. Isn’t that funny? Both things focus on the voice.

Profile photo of marcjohng
    marcjohng

Looking at the ears instead? That’s funny! haha the person you’re talking to might notice that you’re staring at his/her ears! hahaha. 😀 well, i think the difficulty of making an eye contact doesn’t attribute to being selectively mute because I can definitely make eye contact to anyone despite of my selective mutism! The lack of words coming out from us is the only thing that I think can be attributed to having the said disorder. . So stop talking about eye contact problems LOL! 😉

Profile photo of concernedmom
    concernedmom

I think eye contact is definately part of SM! You are lucky you don’t have that issue. My son has difficulty with that. He’ll look then look away, then look again. It’s so hard.

unpretty125
    Participant

no they won’t notice. someone told me that years ago, and people always thought I was making eye contact. It works!

Profile photo of concernedmom
    concernedmom

thanks, I’ll give him that tip next time it comes up. Hard to approach him about these things.

Profile photo of marcjohng
    marcjohng
    Quote:
    Quote from concernedmom on November 9, 2011, 13:45
    I think eye contact is definately part of SM! You are lucky you don’t have that issue. My son has difficulty with that. He’ll look then look away, then look again. It’s so hard.

But I admit there really are certain situations wherein I can’t make an eye contact. Well it depends on the person with SM. There are people whom we are comfortable with and there are also people whom we are NOT comfortable with. In this case, we obviously can make eye contact with the former and hardly with the latter.

So what you need to do is to distinguish people whom your son is comfortable with from those whom he isn’t comfortable with. Obviously, when your son can’t make an eye contact with a particular person, then your son is not comfortable being with that person.

Everything will just go fine when you know the factors triggering your son’s SM. Remember every symptom has its own trigger. 🙂

Profile photo of jenny
    jenny

Volunteering is a great way to get job experience and something to put on your resumes. People rarely turn down free help.
    “Unpretty,” are you still interested in being an actress? If you have a community theatre in your area, you might volunteer to help. There is often a need for people to work in costumes or props or lighting or even to move props in-between scenes. There may even be scenes that need extras in the background that don’t have to speak. Never give up on a dream.
    Non-profits are good sources to get involved – Red Cross, Salvation Army, Special Olympics, shelters for the homeless or abused, literacy programs, church childcare – the possibilities are endless.

windflower

great idea, Jenny, about volunteering. thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.