Home Forums Main Forum General Looking for adult SM participants

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of marcjohng marcjohng 4 years, 6 months ago.

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home4/scardew/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-category-excluder/ultimate-category-excluder.php on line 155
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of morphologism
    morphologism

Hi, I am a student studying Psychology at the University of Huddersfield conducting research into Selective Mutism for my final year dissertation. The research Aims to investigate adult experiences of selective mutism, how this affects such things as social relationships, higher education/work, thoughts and feelings about living with selective mutism, and any other issues you feel are important.

I have SM myself, and a large part of my experience has revolved around misunderstandings, from mental health professionals, family and friends. Which isn’t too surprising, considering how hard it can be to tell anyone anything when you have SM. Within the SM literature, in studies published in journals, one thing that’s been missing over and over again is an understanding of SM from the people who actually have it, and especially adults, who have been virtually ignored. Just explaining how SM has affected your life as an adult would be hugely insightful and important for future SM research.

Taking part in the study would involve doing up to three online [instant messenger]interviews under one hour each, though the specific schedule may be negotiated, as they’ll be done online there’s a great deal of flexibility here. These interviews can be conducted using any IM software, such as Windows live messenger, GoogleTalk, etc. this can be based on your own preferences. I know interviews can sound scary, but just think of it like any online chat. There are no right answers to any of my questions, all I’ll be asking is for your experiences of how SM has affected parts of your life, and you don’t have to talk about anything that would be uncomfortable.

This study is subject to the ethical guidelines set by the Huddersfield University School of Human and Health Sciences and the British Psychological Society. Transcripts gathered from the interviews will be anonymised to protect your identity and the identities of any persons or institutions mentioned during any interviews. You may withdraw from the study at any time or refuse to answer any specific questions during the interviews if you wish.

If you are over the age of 18 with Selective Mutism and wish to take part in this study (and would like to be emailed a consent form) or would like more information, please pm me, or contact me at:

Email: u1052162@unimail.hud.ac.uk

Thanks for taking the time to read all this.

Profile photo of marcjohng
    marcjohng

Joining that seems fun. hehe. 😀 I already sent you an email. 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.